PSORIASIS is a chronic, non-contagious disorder which affects the skin and joints, characterized by flaking, redness and inflammation of the skin. Once thought to be a skin disorder, psoriasis is now understood to be a condition originating in the immune system.
The scaly patches caused by psoriasis, called psoriatic plaques, are areas of inflammation and excessive skin production. Skin rapidly accumulates at these sites and takes on a silvery-white appearance. Plaques frequently occur on the skin of the elbows and knees, but can affect any area including the scalp and genitals. In contrast to eczema, psoriasis is more likely to be found on the extensor aspect of the joint.
The symptoms of psoriasis can manifest in a variety of forms. Different types of psoriasis exhibit different characteristics that may change over time. One form may change to another, or several forms may exist at the same time.
- Plaque psoriasis: This is the most common type of psoriasis. It is characterized by raised, red lesions covered with silvery white scales. The scales are caused by a building up of dead skin cells. It may appear on the knees, elbows, scalp, trunk or any other skin surface.
- Guttate psoriasis: It is characterised by numerous small red dots of psoriasis. The lesions may have some scaling. These numerous spots of psoriasis appear over large areas of the body, such as the trunk, limbs, and scalp. It may appear suddenly following a bacterial or viral infection or the administration of drugs like ketoconazole and salicylic acid.
- Inverse psoriasis: This is usually found in the folds of the skin in the armpits, groin, under an overweight stomach or under the breasts. It appears as smooth, red lesions without scaling and may cause irritation due to rubbing and sweating.
- Pustular psoriasis: It is characterized by blisters filled with pus on the skin. The blisters are not infectious. It may be found on the hands and feet or may be spread all over. The skin under and surrounding pustules is red and tender.
- Psoriatic arthritis: About 10% to 30% of the patients with psoriasis may develop a form of arthritis called psoriatic arthritis. This may cause redness and swelling, primarily on the hands, feet, knees, hips, elbows and spine. It may cause stiffness, pain and joint damage.
- Nail psoriasis: produces a variety of changes in the appearance of finger and toe nails. These changes include discolouring under the nail plate, pitting of the nails, lines going across the nails, thickening of the skin under the nail, and the loosening and crumbling of the nail.
- Erythrodermic psoriasis: involves the widespread inflammation and exfoliation of the skin over most of the body surface. It may be accompanied by severe itching, swelling and pain. It is often the result of an exacerbation of unstable plaque psoriasis, particularly following the abrupt withdrawal of systemic treatment. This form of psoriasis can be fatal, as the extreme inflammation and exfoliation disrupt the body’s ability to regulate temperature and for the skin to perform barrier functions.
- Hemidesmus Indicus It is one of the best herbs to detoxify which helps in cleaning the body inside out. It has got amazing health benefits in that it helps to purify blood and improves skin texture.
- Swertia Chirayaita Swerita is great for rashes, inflamed skin, and other types of skin problems. Chirata is the skins best friend. Their antioxidant property helps clear the skin. It comes handy in treating various skin conditions such as rashes, inflammation, itching, burning sensation and redness. It can also be diluted by mixing with water and used for cleaning oozing on the skin.
- Fumaria Parviflora Fumitory works well to heal swollen, red, and painful skin and other organs. Because of Fumitory’s anti-inflammatory qualities it works well for treating both eczema and psoriasis. Fumitory also heals acne and clears up blemishes thus bringing about beautiful skin. Because fumitory contains lots of great antioxidants it also works well for detoxing the blood and liver.
- Buchananina Axillaris The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties prevent aging and keep any skin infections at bay.
- Azadirachta Indica Neem has very strong antimicrobial and antibacterial and effects. It is used as a general tonic for the immune system and to protect your overall health. Neem helps rid the body of toxins. Its active ingredients stimulate the liver and kidneys to optimize the body’s metabolic activities.
- Terminalia Chebula Haritaki has antibacterial properties which make it very effective for treating acne and ulcers. It heals acne very quickly and prevents scars from forming. Haritaki can give you significant skin health benefits with regular use. Haritaki is very useful in fighting with skin allergies.